What is a Big Brother or Big Sister?
A Big Brother or Big Sister is essentially a mentor. They are a caring adult, helping a young person to succeed by being a positive role model. They are a dependable and encouraging friend - someone to count on.
Big Brothers Big Sisters Mentoring Programs Work!
Bigs make a lasting and profound effect on the youth they mentor. National research has shown that children who have had a Big Brother or Big Sister are:
- More confident in their schoolwork performance
- Able to get along better with their families
- 46% less likely to begin using illegal drugs
- 27% less likely to begin using alcohol
- 52% less likely to skip school
- More likely to complete college and have higher earnings in their job
- More successful in their relationships as adults
You Could Change the Future for a Child.
As a mentor, you can make the difference! You can help break the cycles of poverty, substance abuse and other social problems. Take the first step today and START SOMETHING in a child’s life that will last forever. The time you give could be the most important moments in a child’s life.